Friday, November 16, 2012

Time Flies!

HOLY COW!!  Where the heck did the last two weeks go???  I can NOT believe next week is Thanksgiving already, can you??

DSCN3338

Well, in my defense, I have not been slacking… been busy in the sewing room… just not posting.  Sad smile 

DSCN3326

I get a bit frantic this time of year making gifts for friends and family for Christmas. 

DSCN3332

If you check the list on my sidebar, you’ll see I’ve made several things already this month. 

DSCN3327

When I decorated the house for November, I found a few places I needed some smaller quilted things to use on tables and such,

DSCN3331

so I pulled out my scraps and made a few new things. 

DSCN3334

Let’s see if you can find them in my photos of my house all decorated for November!!

placemats

I save all my scarecrows to put out in November.

DSCN3348

Back when I designed, sewed and sold dolls and critters at local craft fairs in Florida,

DSCN3329

before we moved here to Virginia, scarecrows were always a big seller and I loved making them.

DSCN3336

You’ll see lots of scarecrows in these photos!

DSCN3340

By the end of November, after two months of orange décor from Halloween and Thanksgiving,

DSCN3370

I am always SOOOO ready to put it all away and get out my red and green Christmas decorations, aren’t you??!!

DSCN3345

Thanksgiving foods have really never been my favorite…

Schnibbles table mat

but I do love the whole cooking all day and family coming and

long mini  table runner

pick up football games outside the the parade and college football on TV inside stuff.

pumpkin mat

I always go out on Black Friday and get our live tree from a local store

DSCN3347

and get my husband and kids to bring up the 8 big tubs of Christmas decorations from storage in  the basement.

DSCN3350

Because I always worked, until now, I always decorate my house the weekend after Thanksgiving.

DSCN3357

Now that I’m retired, I can take more time…

DSCN3346

but probably will still do it all in a week, the day after Thanksgiving!!

DSCN3365

When do you decorate? 

DSCN3366

Do you go out and fight the hordes on black Friday to shop for gifts?

DSCN3371

My husband and I used to do that …waaayyy back before we had kids…

DSCN3359

but not since then for sure!!

DSCN3368

I hate crowds and lines!!  YUCK!!

DSCN3367

And I do make most gifts for my sisters, parents and friends…

DSCN3349

but not so much now for my sons and hubby anymore.

nov front door

Do you make allot of your holiday gifts??  Do you start early??

1signature

8 comments:

  1. No No and Yes .. not sure if I counted the questions right. I do not decorate. Christmas decoration = 1 advent wreath and a advent calendar go up on the Saturday before the 1st Advent. We don't do thanksgiving here (wrong country) and the Christmas tree - well we buy that on the 24th put it up in the afternoon, and it goes down again on the 6th of January.

    I try to make as many gifts as I can, but that's not always possible. I try to make them at least for the immediate family. The rest, well sometimes its only half selfmade and sometimes I only buy it myself. I hate shopping, so I usually have to do several Christmas present shopping runs (torture sessions) at the beginning of December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you have been very busy and sorry Polly I only looked at your photos as it is 1.40am and my eyes are too tired to read. Must away to bed..Will pop back later this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house looks wonderful and all ready for Thanksgiving. I too am ready for the red and green of Christmas after lots of browns and oranges all fall. I usually do my Christmas decorating sometime that weekend after Thanksgiving. This year we are not hosting any big group so I may get it done on Friday instead of shopping. My girls and I used to do lunch, shopping, and an ornament exchange on Black Friday. Now they always have to work that day - bummer. Health care workers don't always have holidays off like I have working in education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home sure looks beautiful. Very festive for Fall.

    I try to make things for Christmas, but never seem to have enough time. Still working on making some small projects for friends & family.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polly,
    Your house looks so pretty all decked out for Thanksgiving. I am ready to put all of the orange and brown things away and start getting ready for Christmas. I am planning to get a lot of the Christmas stuff out on Thanksgiving weekend. I don't make a lot of gifts but I would like to. Next year when I am at home I will start doing that.
    Suzan
    Ladybug Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Moly Polly...you have created, designed, sewn, soooooo much ....it is amazing what you have accumulated....woww!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your home is lovely!! I love all the decorations!! I've been quilting for over twenty years, more off than on with five kids. I hope to make many pieces over the next few years to decorate my new home (well new to me anyway)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)