Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fat Quarter Storage Idea

C.J. asked for fat quarter storage ideas on her blog and showed us how she likes her FQ's folded. Years ago I bought this $30.00 CD storage cabinet at Walmart. It was perfect for my folded FQ collection. I had lots back then. I used the baskets at the bottom for FQ bundles.


I just looked for it now on
www.walmart.com and couldn't find it. Guess they don't sell it anymore. But I Googled "CD cabinets" and found this one. I think it would do just fine!



Back before I started quilting, I was a doll maker, and I bought this antique chest of drawers that I used for my buttons. When I rearranged my sewing room a few years ago, I removed the eight drawers and set the unit on it's side and it became a set of cubbyholes. So now I put my FQ's in there... I even set 2 of the drawers there next to it on their side to fit a few more FQ's there.
The long wooden thingy sitting on top is a very primitively made white-washed wooden box with a handle that I used to use to hold my patterns for display at craft fairs. I turned it on it's side, too and more FQ are stored there!


Just some ideas for storing those endearing fat quarters!
How do you store yours?



9 comments:

  1. Two very clever ideas! I'mjust using baskets, but I have a feeling I don't have nearly as many fat quarters as you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polly, what impressive organization. But I'll take the FQs themselves.

    Okay, between you and CJ, I am dedicated to taking photos before and, if I change my storage arrangements, after.

    This is something I have wanted to address for awhile. You have given me incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful storage ideas but I have no where near the amout of FQ's that you have. I just put my in a plastic storage crate with other fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great ideas! I have mine in a plastic tote for now, but hope to display them someday soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever! Will you come help me oranize my sewing room?

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrific way of storing your fat quarters Polly! Thank you for sharing, I've added a link to this post on your blog, I'm hoping for more ideas to roll in!

    I'm definitely going to have to go look at cd cabinets, I LOVE this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the ideas! I just have mine in stacks, here & there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea! If/when I get my sewing room I may use something like that. Right now I have them in plastic containers in an wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great storage tips! Thanks for sharin, Polly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)