Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fat Quarter Storage Idea

C.J. asked for fat quarter storage ideas on her blog and showed us how she likes her FQ's folded. Years ago I bought this $30.00 CD storage cabinet at Walmart. It was perfect for my folded FQ collection. I had lots back then. I used the baskets at the bottom for FQ bundles.

I just looked for it now on and couldn't find it. Guess they don't sell it anymore. But I Googled "CD cabinets" and found this one. I think it would do just fine!

Back before I started quilting, I was a doll maker, and I bought this antique chest of drawers that I used for my buttons. When I rearranged my sewing room a few years ago, I removed the eight drawers and set the unit on it's side and it became a set of cubbyholes. So now I put my FQ's in there... I even set 2 of the drawers there next to it on their side to fit a few more FQ's there.
The long wooden thingy sitting on top is a very primitively made white-washed wooden box with a handle that I used to use to hold my patterns for display at craft fairs. I turned it on it's side, too and more FQ are stored there!

Just some ideas for storing those endearing fat quarters!
How do you store yours?


  1. Two very clever ideas! I'mjust using baskets, but I have a feeling I don't have nearly as many fat quarters as you!!!

  2. Polly, what impressive organization. But I'll take the FQs themselves.

    Okay, between you and CJ, I am dedicated to taking photos before and, if I change my storage arrangements, after.

    This is something I have wanted to address for awhile. You have given me incentive.

  3. Wonderful storage ideas but I have no where near the amout of FQ's that you have. I just put my in a plastic storage crate with other fabric.

  4. Thanks for the great ideas! I have mine in a plastic tote for now, but hope to display them someday soon. ;-)

  5. Very clever! Will you come help me oranize my sewing room?


  6. What a terrific way of storing your fat quarters Polly! Thank you for sharing, I've added a link to this post on your blog, I'm hoping for more ideas to roll in!

    I'm definitely going to have to go look at cd cabinets, I LOVE this idea!

  7. Thanks for the ideas! I just have mine in stacks, here & there.

  8. What a fantastic idea! If/when I get my sewing room I may use something like that. Right now I have them in plastic containers in an wardrobe.

  9. Great storage tips! Thanks for sharin, Polly!


Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)