Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Where Does the Time Go?

I can never get over how quickly the days go... it's been days since I posted here! ACK!! But, I want to show you a purse I made with scraps! I'm calling it my Art Purse. It's made with scraps from this quilt I made my sister Patty a few Christmases ago!




See the first pieced border? I had lots of those little brick shaped rectangles leftover in my scrap drawer!! So, I pieced them together in row and added a strip of another Kaffe fabric in between!


I used fusible fleece on the back and free-motion quilted it with leaves and curlicues. I used that piece to cut out the lining. I ironed fusible interfacing on the back of the lining and added a pocket.


I had a periwinkle faux leather purse handle in my stash and used the same black Kaffe fabric to make fabric loops to attach the handle. I used the same periwinkle color as the handles in a batik for the lining. I like using light fabrics to line all purses to make finding things in it later much easier!



I folded the prepared quilted purse exterior into the desired shape with a flap to close it....so just about into thirds. I trimmed the sides of the flap into a trapezoid shape. I sewed up the side seams and boxed the bottom sides.




Then I used the black Kaffe fabric loops to attach the handle on each side.



I used some other Kaffe scraps from my stash to fussy cut some flowers to fuse onto the front flap of the purse. I always use Trans Web fusible for applique as it is very light and does not gum up my needle when I stitch on it.




I stitched and embellished the appliqued flowers with Sulky metallic thread. Then, I also fused on some sparkly crystals to add some BLING!


I stitched the lining sides together and boxed the bottom of it exactly as I did the purse exterior- EXCEPT for leaving about 4" on one side open for turning. I turned the purse right sides out through the opening on the side and then stitched that opening closed. I top stitched around the sewn edges. I added a magnetic snap to the lining of the flap and to the front of the purse exterior where it was needed to match the other half on the flap.








And VOILA!! A cool fun artsy scrap purse!! And everything used to make it was already in my sewing room!! Love that aspect, too!! Hmmm....what else can I pout together with my stash of scraps! What do YOU make out of your scraps?

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Polly, what a gorgeous purse. You are very creative. I love it. Winona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sha-ZAM! Gorgeous creations ... what talent ... my talent is writing checks. Chuckle.
    TTFN ~ Marydon
    blushingroseboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Polly, it is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)