Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bee Day!!

Today was our Bee day! :-) We were at my friend Lorraine's house and we had a lovely time! And what a great lunch- salad with fresh berries and chicken and mango cheesecake for dessert!!! I wanted to make and bring the girls something , so with the weather warming up finally, I went to Starbucks and got them each a gift card and asked the barista for 4 empty cold drink cups with lids and straws. I made a quilted sleeve for each cup using a cute summer beach print with lighthouses and sailboats.



The back was a red plaid and I bound the edges with red bias tape. It will help cold drinks stay cold and keep them from sweating down the sides, too. I like to only use cups and glasses with lids on them in my sewing room...to avoid accidentally spilling drinks. I'm such a klutz!




I felt good that I got allot done at bee today!! One of my bee friend's, Linda, and I are both doing the American Jane Calendar Kids BOM quilt. As teachers, we both fell in love with this adorable quilt with paperdoll printed fabric that in each block is dressed for a month of the year and begins with September just like the school year does. Here's what it will look like-



We just got the first block (September) last week in the mail, so today at bee, we went through all the given fabrics and directions and decoded it all! Some parts are pieced and some are done with fusible applique. I think it will be so fun to make!! I got all the tracing done on the fusible, got it all ironed on the fabrics and cut them all out. So maybe tomorrow I can get the block all put together!

I also got a jellyroll cut into the pieces needed for this cool jelly roll quilt. This one is called "Insomnia" from the book Strip Therapy

and is shown made with a Balipop, but my jelly roll is all Kaffe Fassett fabrics. Each jellyroll will yield a nice lap sized quilt and you make a table runner with the leftovers! Cool idea! I love "two-fors"!!


In two weeks is our annual Quilter's Unlimited quilt show at the Dulles Expo! Yippee!! I wait all year for this! I'm considering purchasing an Alto's QuiltCut 2. Does anyone out there have one? Do you like it? Is it worth the money? Leave me a message and let me know!!

1 comment:

Thank you sooooooo very much for taking the time to leave a comment! I am always happy to know that someone is reading my ramblings!! Polly :-)